MY BLOG HAS MOVED!

In 5 seconds, we will automatically redirect you to...
http://p-d-robinson.tumblr.com/
...and don't forget to update your bookmarks!


Friday, September 19, 2008

exploration day one



Today I went exploring two valleys to the west of where I am living in Claro. I had heard about the possible potential for amazing unclimbed boulders in this region and was psyched to head out. I woke up, ate some breakfast, and hopped in the Peugot and drove up there. The day started off quite nicely, huge boulder everywhere along the river. I could barely keep my eyes on the road driving up this very steep and windy valley. As the road ended I turned around and started my day from working from the top down.

At the top of the valley I stumbled across this boulder pictured below.



I checked it out and there seems to be two really amazing lines up this slightly overhung boulder. The first of which is on the left and the second is the prow just out of the frame. Both of these lines look phenomenal! Though I know the picture does not give it any justice, you will have to trust me on this one! I am definitely psyched to come back to this problem later on in the trip.

After that we headed down valley and started to scope out some of the biggest river boulder I have ever seen! From a distance they looked amazing but with a closer look, they all were featureless. It was quite a shame to see this, but they were still super cool to look at and be beneath.



With my acquired knowledge of the day I have come to the conclusion that finding this amazing five star line might be a little more difficult than I had imagined. I do know that it is not going be by the river because I looked at pretty much every climbable boulder and nothing was featured enough to climb it. I think that my next visit to this amazing valley will be spent in the forests above the river below. The boulders above the river seem to be a lot more featured and may yield themselves to a higher probability of climbable surfaces. From the road and through the trees I could see boulders up on the hillsides. I think that with Fall coming and the leaves about to fall from the trees it will be easier to scope the boulders enclosed by the forests. I think that this is where the five star line will be sitting. It is not going to be easy to find but I am hoping that with a few more trips up this untapped valley I will stumble across what could be one of the most pure amazing boulder problems in the world. Switzerland definitely has the rock quality, its just finding the boulders that is hard!

Tomorrow it is back to Magic Wood! I have still yet to try New Base Line and I am getting super psyched! Maybe if it is colder tomorrow I will make the trek up the hill and give it an effort! We shall see, but my true heart is still in that valley only 50 kilometers away! I can’t wait to get back there and continue on with the exploration!

5 comments:

stefan said...

I couldn't agree more. The best thing about bouldering is searching for that one perfect line. I too was up that valley a couple of years ago and with that amount and quality of rock I am sure you will find your line. Keep searching and I'll keep reading your blog.

Unknown said...

hey paul. the big arete is nearly done on the darkside.as you anticipated its epic!

Victor B.F said...

Hello,
My mane is Bifi , as you can see..and I'm from Romania...I understood from some friends that you will come to Romania for a contest (Totonne) teaming up with John Ene..it's true??and if it's true how long will stay or when you will arive?
best regards,BF.

leif said...

hey paul. love how that boulder looks. what a beautiful place... actually all of those along the creek there seem to be spectacular wherever they're pictured: your shots and dave's vids of the whole area are inspiring. thanks for posting

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul! Im going to stay in Claro for some weeks this november and wondering if its any good restday activity? cafes? bars? other stuff or is it just to read and hang out?? Greetings!!